Should CASHS Have A Later Start Time?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Should CASHS Have A Later Start Time?

Liliana Reynoso, Author

Do you ever get tired of waking up so early in the morning just to go to school? Well I am and so are many other students who attend CASHS. Starting school later allows students to get more sleep, improving student’s physical and mental health, attendance, and academic performance. Adolescents are recommended to get nine hours of sleep a night, but a number of external factors, including interrupted sleep from homework responsibilities has degraded sleep quality and length so that students are only getting about 6 hours of sleep per night. And because teens don’t produce a lot of melatonin, a sleep-inducing hormone, until later in the night, going to bed earlier isn’t really helping.

Some schools around the world have later start times, so why cant we? There are some some pros and some cons of having a later start time. Some benefits of starting school later would include teens likely getting the right amount of sleep, it could help teens be more alert during the school day, and even boost their academic performance. Some cons would be, students who participate in sports and extra-curricular activities would get home much later in the evenings, issues with transportation, and students may stay up even later if they don’t have to get up for school at an earlier time.

So there are advantages and disadvantages of starting school late but is it worth it? I think that eventually we will see change but not anytime soon due to the disadvantages of the idea. Until then parents could make sure that their teen gets plenty of sleep before the next day of school.